Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mail vs. Email

I sent out another story to Fantasy & Science Fiction today. I actually like the market. I enjoy printing out the manuscript, going to the post office, filling out the self-addressed stamped envelope. Its what the writers used to do in the old days. Email is so instant. You just click submit and there you have it. I'm old enough to remember the days before email. Yes, we used to write letters to each other all the time. By hand. You could tell a lot about a person by whether they used block print or cursive. Sometimes they'd decorate the envelope. You'd open it up and know some one spent a good amount of time thinking about you. I don't know if the editors at F&SF appreciate it, but I was thinking of them as I lovingly prepared my manuscript. I also clevely cracked the Clarkesworld rejection code. Did I hack their database? No, I'm no hacker. Did I corner Neal Clarke and threaten to make him watch vacation videos? Didn't do that either. He wrote about it in his forum. There are 4 tiers: 1. You didn't follow the guidelines. 2. Rejected, next time follow the guidelines. 3. Rejected. 4. Top 10%: Send us more stories

No comments:

Post a Comment